General Information for NFA Firearms and Suppressors

Which firearms are regulated under the NFA?

(1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;

(2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;

(3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;

(4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;

(5) any other weapon, as defined in subsection (e);

(6) a machinegun;

(7) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code); and

(8) a destructive device.

[26 U.S.C. 5845; 27 CFR 479.11]

Who Can Purchase NFA Items

Ownership of an NFA firearm or suppressors is available to Individuals, Corporations, and Trusts. Which entity you choose to purchase under is up to you, but we recommend getting qualified advice from a knowledgeable source, such as an attorney, before deciding to purchase under a trust or corporation.

How Much Does it Cost to Purchase NFA Items

An individual purchasing an existing NFA item is required to pay a one-time $200.00 dollar transfer tax (per serialized NFA item) to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in addition to the purchase price of the item and the receiving dealer's transfer fee.  Should the NFA item be transferred to another person in the future, a separate transfer tax must be paid at that time by the new prospective owner. This $200.00 tax is commonly referred to as a "tax stamp."

What Forms Must be Filed to Purchase NFA Items  

A transferring FFL dealer will usually assist with the filing of ATF Form 5320.4, also known as a “Form 4.” This form is required in order to transfer aanNFA item from the receiving FFL to an individual. Two copies of ATF Form 4 will be submitted to the ATF and a third copy should be mailed to the Chief Law Enforcement Officer of the county that the customer resides.

What is Required to Complete a Form 4

THREE completed and signed Form 4s. TWO copies will be sent off to the ATF (they will keep one copy and send the second copy back with your approval and tax stamp). The remaining ONE copy will be sent to the Chief Law Enforcement Officer in your county.

TWO fingerprint cards, these can be completed at your local Sheriff's Office.

TWO passport sized photos, 2" x 2" inch. AND

ONE check or money order made out to “Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives or BATFE” in the amount of $200.00 dollars. 

All of the above will be required for EACH NFA item that is purchased, even if multiple NFA items are purchased at once.

How Long is the Wait Period for ATF Approval of a Form 4

Wait time for ATF approval of a Form 4 does vary , but is typically ranges from 6 to 12 months.

What is the Age Requirement for Purchasing NFA Items

You must be 21 years old.

How do I Purchase a NFA Item from Battle Arms Development

Barring certain federal, state, or local prohibitions, any individual who is at least 21 years of age and is currently able to purchase a non-NFA firearm is also eligible to purchase an NFA firearm.  The only real difference is that when it comes to shipping, an FFL dealer that also has a Special Occupational Tax License will need to be selected.  To make things simple we only need a few things for your online order.

Payment: You will pay us for the firearm or suppressor in full at the time of purchase (there are no layaway purchase plans for NFA items).

Your dealer's Federal Firearms License (FFL).

Your dealer's Special Occupational Tax License (SOT):

We must ship an NFA firearm or suppressor directly to a receiving FFL, so a copy of the receiving dealer's FFL and SOT is required. They can email, fax, or physically mail these to us at:

[email protected]

Battle Arms Development


451 E Sunset Rd

Henderson NV 89011